Monday, August 28, 2017

Houston, We Have A Problem


The news is a little overwhelming. Houston is mostly underwater and as the fourth largest city in America, which is didn't realize, that means that the scope of the disaster is incredible. The immediate needs are vast and then after the waters recede the need will be there and severe for years to come. I can't go down and help and would probably just be in the way if I did so I did what I could and sent a financial donation to a local ministry to help.


I looked at local churches but settled on the Disaster Relief ministry of the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention. The SBTC is the local branch for Texas of the Southern Baptist Convention and despite my concerns over the direction of some areas of the SBC I am still confident that my donations to the SBTC will go where they are needed. My reasoning is pretty simple. I prefer local ministries to huge multinational ministries and I always prefer Christian ministries over secular ministries. I am sure the International Red Cross is doing great work down there but I also know that when the waters recede the Disaster Relief ministry of the SBTC will still be there doing the hard work of rebuilding and will be sharing the Gospel while they do.

I would urge you to consider making a sacrificial donation to help Houston. You can give here to the SBTC Disaster Relief ministry or you can give to the SBC's North American Mission Board Disaster Relief which overseas the disaster relief efforts for the SBC nationally. There are lots of other groups helping like Samaritan's Purse, the Mennonite Disaster Service and others. Heck, give to the Red Cross if you want. Just do what you can to help.

I believe that as the church we have an obligation to help those in need and especially our fellow believers and the countrymen of the land God has placed us in. Please prayerfully consider what God is leading you to do to help those in dire need in Texas.

No comments: